What else does Pope Francis believe in other than God?

photo courtesy http://time.com/3671080/pope-francis-philippines-corruption-poverty/

Meghan Cahill, Staff Writer

Pope Francis was elected as the 266th Roman Catholic Pontiff in 2013, but when it comes to his beliefs and ideologies many Christians disagree. Many of his beliefs side with liberal ideas except for the fact that he is pro-life when it comes to abortion rather than pro-choice. He considers an abortion a grave evil and said it’s not “progressive” to end a human life. But, he explains pro-life as more than just abortions, it’s also life sentences, death penalties, immigration, children dying from hunger or bombings, and the environment devastated by man’s doing. All these things can be viewed in the eyes of the pope as pro-life. He said, “all life has an inestimable value even the weakest and most vulnerable, the sick, the old, the unborn, and the poor, are masterpieces of God’s creation, made in his own image, destined to live forever, and deserving of the utmost reverence and respect.” Pope Francis believe homosexuals lives are valued too saying “People should not be defined only by their sexual tendencies; let us not forget that God loves all his creatures and we are destined to receive is infinite love.” His view contrasts sharply with the previous pope, Benedict XVI, who vocally opposed LGBT relationships and called same-sex marriage a threat to the “future of humanity itself.” Pope Francis has expressed his views through acts of love – dining with LGBT prisoners, meeting privately with a Spanish transgender man, and openly embracing a gay couple in Washington D.C.

Many of the Pope’s views not only clash with the previous pope’s views, but also with our current president, Donald Trump. This feud started with Trump’s idea of building a wall between Mexico and the U.S. Pope Francis expressed his disapproval of the wall saying, “A person who thinks about building walls wherever they may be, and not building bridges is not Christian,” Trump shot back saying the Vatican would be attacked by ISIS and claimed the Mexicans were “using the Pope as a pawn,” and said it was “disgraceful” for a religious leader to questions a person’s faith.

The Pope also opposed Trump’s administrative move of ending DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). DACA allowed immigrants brought to the U.S as minors to remain. Pope Francis thought the decision to end it was not “pro-life” because he will be dividing families and to him family is “the cradle of life.” He hopes Trump’s administration rethinks the decision that puts on hold the futures of an estimated 800,000 young people. He also hopes the administration rethinks taking away climate change funding. The Pope released a second teaching letter known as an encyclical. It’s entitled “Laudato Si,” which called for a radical change of politics, economics, and individual lifestyles to confront climate change. Last September, House Speaker, John S. Boehner, Representative of Ohio, invited the Pope to speak to congress. Rev. Thomas Reese, an analyst at the National Catholic Reporter commented, “I think Boehner out of his mind to invite the Pope to speak to congress, can you imagine what the republicans will do when he says, ‘You’ve got to do something about global warming.’”