The True Power Technology Holds

Megan Najarian, Staff Writer

When the introduction of technology took place, the world’s eyes opened to a new day and age of learning and evolving. With new learning techniques at our fingertips, it is not surprising that it is very easy to use that power in a negative way. This can lead to technology being out of the human race’s control one day in the future.

There are many movies describing robots taking over the world. Take iRobot for instance, the artificial intelligence that the robots have is able to make its own opinions and decisions which makes them gain power over humans. Though it may sound crazy, we are not very far from these predictions today.

Elon Musk made a very good point during his discussion upon artificial intelligence in the future saying, “ I think by the time we are reactive in AI regulation, it’s too late.” he also mentioned, “ what our biggest existential threat is, it’s probably that.” I agree with his points that artificial intelligence is the biggest threat in the future and could end up destroying the human race. Nowadays, people want everything to be the best that it can be. This means that we will most likely go over our limit of power with technology so much that it can not be controlled anymore. The day that this happens may be much closer than we think.

Another opinion was made by physicist Stephen Hawking as he explained, “ A super intelligent AI will be extremely good at accomplishing its goals, and if those goals aren’t aligned with ours, we’re in trouble.” People may have a specific goal they look toward, but a robot may take a different perspective among us. If they develop more power than humans, than this goal can be accomplished.

An example of the singularity is with Facebook’s “chat bots”. Two robots were put in a room together and were taught some of the basic english language. Instead of practicing the language themselves, both bots jumbled the words to create their own unique language that nobody could understand. Researchers decided to shut the bots down, for there was no way to understand what they were communicating about. If both bots were not shut down, they could have made a dangerous plan that nobody would understand except themselves. This can occur between any robot in the universe which is why people need to watch what they are creating in case one day these machines turn on humans for their own individual power.

It is believed that it will only take 50 years for AI to take on all human tasks. This means taking most of the jobs that people work for will be run by robots. If this is true, there will be a very limited amount of opportunities for people to earn money from a job. People will not have enough money to survive, making AI gain power over the nation. 50 years may seem far, but it is much closer than we think.