‘The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories’ Review

Michael Parke, Staff Writer

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories, by Ernest Hemingway, is a collection of ten short stories.

Aside from The Snows of Kilimanjaro, which deals with a fictional writer ruminating over his wasted potential, there’s A Clean, Well-Lighted Place, where two waiters, one more sympathetic than the other, watch an old man drink; Fifty Grand, where a boxer past his prime enters the ring because he has to; and The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, where the titular character tries to regain some sense of masculinity after an embarrassing encounter with a lion in Africa. Six more stories lie within; all of them have Hemingway’s main themes and writing style.

I thought that this collection had a good mix of short stories. The Killers was perhaps the most exciting due to the sharp dialogue and directness of the assassins. The story gained extra heft once plot points, such as the target’s acceptance of his fate and the owner declining to call the police, were considered. Another exciting read was The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, which had great pacing, something The Snows of Kilimanjaro struggled with, and plot. The story I enjoyed the least was Fathers and Sons. It confused me. Perhaps the deeper meaning didn’t get to me, or perhaps I was too tired to read the text correctly, but this story, which essentially consists of Nick Adams reflecting upon his youth, didn’t impact me in the way the others did. It just didn’t.

In comparison to Hemingway’s other short stories, the ones presented in this collection read the same; in terms of style and subject matter his books do too. I’d recommend Barn Burning, a short story by William Faulkner, for those who dislike Hemingway or those wanting to read something written in a dramatically different style whilst marching through the short, elliptical sentences provided in this collection. Overall, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other