Was the Moon Landing a Hoax?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Was the Moon Landing a Hoax?

Astronaut Edwin E. Aldrin Jr., lunar module pilot of the first lunar landing mission, poses for a photograph beside the deployed United States flag during an Apollo 11 extravehicular activity (EVA) on the lunar surface, July 20, 1969. (Photo by Neil A. Armstrong via NASA)

Nuno Mestre, Staff Writer

As humans, we learn more and more everyday – or at least think we do.

In 1957, The Soviet Union and The United States were in the midst of the Cold War and began competing in the space race to become the first country to orbit the planet, then land the first human being on the moon. Americans Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed Apollo 11 on the moon on July 10, 1969, beating the Soviets to the finish line. However, it is widely disputed whether they faked the landing just to win the space race. The following conspiracies attempt to explain why the moon landing was a hoax.

The Waving Flag Theory

The first theory to disprove their landing is the waving flag flag theory. Conspiracy theorists believe that since there is no atmosphere or wind on the moon, the flag should not have waved or rippled when it was take out of its container. NASA, however, disproved the theory up by explaining how the air pressure in the container caused the flag to wave after it was taken out. 

Multiple Shadows Theory

Another theory to disprove is that studio lamps were used, causing there to be shadows facing different directions in a photograph. Scientists at NASA however, have confirmed that since the photos were taken at a higher ground and the sun was hitting the moon’s horizon, the contour’s of the ground would produce shadows of many different lengths and directions.  

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/conspiracy

Footprints?

Conspiracy theorists often wonder how footprints are able to be formed and maintained on the moon if there is no water on the moon to hold the shape of the foot on its soil.  What they don’t know is that there was an experiment designed to recreate the moon’s surface by using fine-grained dust, and results showed that the particles hold their positions due to the friction between them.

Where are the stars?

If you look closely at the photos of the moon landing you will realize you see no stars. Why is that so? When you photograph things at night, the brightness of nearby objects washes out the film.  Therefore, the reflection of the sun on the moon caused the stars to be hidden by the sunlight’s reflection.

The Crater Theory

Since the Lunar Excursion Module had such a strong engine, it is commonly believed that the module left a crater on the moon’s dusty surface; however, pictures show that there was not a crater left under the spacecraft. This added to the theory that the moon landing was staged. However, NASA has explained that the moon is made of densely-packed rock under the thin layer of dusty rock. Therefore, the pressure of the exhaust engine kicked up the dusty rock and landed on the hard rock surface, leaving no crater.

The Conclusion? 

The most popular moon landing theories are not backed by scientific evidence. Rather, they gain popularity because of their sensationalism. Only a handful of people have stepped foot on the moon, so the rest of the world can merely speculate as to what their eyes have not seen.

The moon landing remains a fixed moment in history so long as there is no scientific evidence to prove it was a hoax.