“Alita: Battle Angel” Unprofessional Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kathleen Mendoza, Staff Writer

I’ve recently had the pleasure of watching a very anticipated movie of 2019, Alita: Battle Angel.

Seeing that it was a movie 20 years in the making and prided on the amount of CGI involved, I had high standards going in. Not to mention that when I bought the tickets, the man at the ticket counter said, and I quote, “Enjoy your movie. It’s fantastic!”

With this, I was officially excited to watch it and analyze it in its entirety for the sole purpose of writing a review filled with approval and praise. But, to my surprise, the hype ruined the movie for me. I’m sure that if I hadn’t been bombarded with excessive amounts of promotions and trailers and good reviews, I would have been satisfied with the movie.

Now, don’t get me wrong – I don’t want to discourage anyone from going to watch it, but I would recommend lowering your expectations a bit before you watch it on the big screen.

SPOILERS AHEAD

One thing I was actually not a fan of was the ending.

You see, normal movies have a resolution at the end. That is how we were taught to write stories in school: exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Instead, this movie kills off the only love interest and leaves Alita in the middle of a mission.

This is SO UNSATISFYING.

It is obviously done to leave room for a sequel, but it is really gutsy. I expect cliff hangers from franchises like Marvel or movies with big name actors like Inception, or even telenovellas (soap operas), but Alita: Battle Angel? That is bold.

Another complaint I have might have to do more with the theater than the movie. The movie is fantasy/science fiction, so of course there are going to be many “space battles”, and there are many characters that are cyborgs, so there is a lot of high pitched clashing sounds from the metal coming from the surround sound system. But the noise was ear-piercing, and I don’t mean the kind you get at a Claire’s store at the mall.

It might have also been the fact that there was a total of ten people in the theater (yes, I actually counted ten). This is an accurate representation of its box office results in the US. The US Box office made $32 million compared to their budget of $200 million.

Besides the ending and the high pitched sounds, I found the movie in its entirety to be a little unsettling. I blame this on the fact that there were many gruesome onscreen deaths and the fact that there are several characters that have very human faces but have robotic bodies. Or maybe the fact that a small innocent little dog gets slaughtered for no good reason (at least they had the sense to make it an off-screen death).

Despite all of its flaws Alita: Battle Angel kept me entertained and I will most likely find myself in the theaters to watch the sequel. Whenever that is.

My official rating: 10 out of 10, would watch Alita again.