Mental Health Awareness

Mera Hanna, Staff Writer

I would prefer to start this topic by letting you know that there are many students and other people around the world who have very poor mental health. The amount started increasing even more in the year 2020, which you would recognize as the year that the pandemic began. The reason I am writing about this topic is that mental health is not talked about enough. During Covid-19,  lots of people were stressed, many suffered from anxiety and depression. This is not just about Covid or the pandemic. Mental health disorders have been increasing for students because of school and their lives at home from being stuck in the houses for so long. 

In the academic year that we are currently in, students are having difficult times. There are many reasons for this. The main reason I see is that people are having a hard time adapting to how school is back to normal. When I say back to normal, I am talking about how grades are taken more seriously, assignments have to be turned in on time while compared to last year, students got to get away with turning in assignments late and still passing. Students are getting stressed with the amount of school work they get, with the amount of studying they have to do. Additionally, some students have jobs, some students have a lot of personal problems and may not be comfortable talking to a teacher about it. 

Another reason that high school students are freaking out is college and that has caused so many students to suffer from mental health disorders. According to The Light Program, “Teens and young adults are facing mental health challenges even before entering college. Part of this could be due to the stress of preparing for higher education. However, it seems to be part of a larger trend. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the number of adolescents seeking mental health services increased in 2015 compared to the previous decade. About 13% of adolescents ages 12-17, or 3.3 million teens, sought treatment in a specialty mental health setting (inpatient or outpatient) in 2015.” This illustrates the fact that a lot of students have been affected with mental health disorders by just the topic of college. 

Mental Health is very important because it can help you with a few things… 

• Cope with the stresses of life
  • Be physically healthy
  • Have good relationships
  • Make meaningful contributions to your community
  • Work productively
  • Realize your full potential

How can you improve your mental health? 

• Be as positive as you can be and I know this could be hard but nothing is impossible. 

It’s important to try to maintain a positive attitude; some strategies include finding a balance between positive and negative emotions. Staying positive does not imply that you never experience negative emotions like sadness or anger. You must feel them move through difficult situations. They can assist you in responding to a problem. But you don’t want those feelings to take control.

• It’s critical to try to maintain a positive attitude; some strategies include

Gratitude practice entails being thankful for the good things in one’s life. It’s a good idea to do this every day, either by thinking about it or writing it down in a journal. These can be big things, like the support of loved ones, or small things, like enjoying a nice meal. It’s critical to take a moment to appreciate the fact that you had a positive experience.

There are infinitely many more ways you could improve your mental health, but for me, these two help me the most. If you would like to know more tips, you could go to this source, https://www.mhanational.org/31-tips-boost-your-mental-health